Friday, June 5, 2015

Lullaby for a Princess


Earlier this week, I watched the full animation for Ponyphonic's Lullaby for a Princess by WarpOut. This project has been in the works for 2 and a half years and man was it worth the wait. Watching the original animatics for this video, I thought it was going to be another Pony Music Video using flash but I was pretty impressed and I was excited for what they were planning to do.


After a long time with no new info on the project, I thought it was a forgotten piece by now and I stopped following it's progress. But thanks to the latest video of the person whose video had led me to this song, Fiery Joker, AKA Commander Firebrand from FOB Equestria, I learned that the animation has fully completed and has just been released. I watched it and it blew my expectations out of the water and into the heavens.


The biggest thing that surprised me was the art style, like I said, I thought they were going to use flash to make it but they went far and beyond just using flash like the show, the most common praise a great pony animation would get this, "This is as good as the show's animation" or "This looks exactly like the show". But this one is like a gorgeous artwork that came to live so it can tell a story, the models feels like 3-D while the backdrop looks like a painting with stunning CG effects.

The animation is also top notch, the way they animated it fits so well with the song and it's so fluent. I was in awe with a big smile on my face the first time I heard this and the only thought in my mind was "Oh My God, this is amazing. I have to see others' reactions to this."  The best part about it is that I showed this to a friend of mine who knows nothing of the show and she was just blown away by it, she was so surprised that this was the work of a fan of a show for "little girls".

So far, this is the best animation I've seen and I hope the fandom can create more works of art like this one here. Feel free to voice your opinions and tell me what you thought about it.

(P.S. When Season 4 came out, I was surprised how similar it was to this video. WarpOut, if for some reason, you're reading this, either you have some mad guessing skills or someone on the crew saw your animatic and said, "this looks awesome, let's make the fight look like this." Either way, you're awesome for making this. ^ ^)

See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment